The National Literacy Trust believes that parents are their children’s first role models and have a strong influence on their reading habits and ongoing learning. At Riverside School we believe that all teachers, parents and students have a role to play in supporting and developing students’ literacy skills. Our aim, therefore, is to ensure students can communicate effectively in today’s competitive society.
WHAT CAN YOU DO?
- Reading at home can include listening to your child read, reading with them or simply making sure they are given the opportunity to read independently
- Encourage your child to read a range of materials such as newspaper articles, blogs and non-fiction text as well as fiction
- Graphic novels and autobiographies can often engage even the most reluctant of readers
- Test your child when they have spellings to learn and encourage them to look up definitions of unfamiliar vocabulary
- Encourage your child to check their written work for errors and proof read
- Be as helpful as you can in helping your child write. Talk through their ideas with them; help them discover what they want to say
USEFUL LINKS AND WEBSITES