The Riverside School Curriculum
Riverside students achieved a higher A*-C or 9-5 than the national average in all GCSE subjects. This means Riverside School’s Attainment 8 score (average grade for all students in their best 8 subjects inc. English, maths, 3 Ebacc subjects and any 3 others) is ranked first in the borough. The Attainment 8 score is one of the government’s key school performance measures and Riverside students achieved the highest score out of all Barking and Dagenham schools. In addition, more Riverside students achieved both a grade 5 in English and maths, higher than any other comprehensive in the borough. Our school motto, ‘Excellence For All’, sets out our philosophy of joint endeavour, positively involving all members of the school and the wider community. Maximising achievement is our number one priority but our motto also makes clear our inclusive approach.
Click here for the Riverside School curriculum policy.
If you would like to find out more about the curriculum please submit a query using our contact page here
Key Stage 3 Curriculum Pathway
Key Stage 4 Curriculum Pathway
- Students are placed in 5 forms (RIVE and S)
- Riverside has a 1 week timetable, featuring 25 hours teaching plus a 20 minute tutorial time/assembly each day.
- PSHE/citizenship/RS are delivered through civics (1 period in years 7 – 10)
- PSHE/citizenship/RS are delivered through several specific civics days across year 11
- Literacy and numeracy focus groups in 7S and 8S are delivered by specialist mathematics and English teachers to provide additional support for those students that require it. This personalised support covers specific subject content from geography, history and science but with a specific focus on developing reading, writing, communication and mathematics.
- Science provision in year 11 for those students undertaking triple science increases to 6 hours a week, providing 2 discreet hours for chemistry, physics and biology.
- Students that play a musical instrument receive personal tuition provided by the school’s peripatetic music tutors each week.
- At Key Stage 4, students study the following core subjects:
- At Key Stage 4, students have the following option choices: